Sunday, July 26, 2009

What an Adventure!

Last Saturday I left for Dallas, Texas for a Mary Kay Seminar. Crazy, I know. Anyway, I was gone from Saturday-Wednesday evening. When I landed Jeff told me Riley had been sick for the past 2 days and running a 102-ish temperature! I kind of freaked out as you can imagine. So Thursday morning he woke up and we brought him into our room and he proceeded to throw up all over me. Awesome. Jeff took our sheets off the bed while I hopped in the shower to remove the lovely scent off of my body. Well when I got out Riley just looked like crap. He was so lethargic, his eyes were red, he was crying, etc, etc. It was SAD! Jeff left and I brought Riley downstairs. We watched Sesame Street for a bit but 30 minutes later he was ready for a nap. He then proceeded to sleep for another 3 1/2 hours! A nap this early and this long was definitely uncharacteristic. When he woke up he was so weak he couldn't stand or walk. He was up for about 2 hours and during that time I could only manage to get 1/2 a graham cracker down him. So then he went down for another 3 hour nap and woke up crying. He was out of control. All he wanted all day was for me to hold him. He would be fine and then starting screaming and crying and flailing about. Although his 3 day fever had broken that morning I decided we needed to go to the doctor. I called and said I know this is beyond last minute but someone needs to see my son TONIGHT! I explained what was going on and they said just put him in the car and come over NOW. I called Jeff and he left work and met me at Davis Family Physicians. After waiting another hour they finally saw him and diagnosed him with a bi-lateral ear infection (both ears), a respiratory infection, AND a virus. Poor little man! Well the story doesn't end there. This morning when Riley woke up we brought him into our room and I noticed this:


I called the Dr. on call and he told me to stop the antibiotic (like I didn't already know that!) and to give Riley Benadryl. He has had 3 doses of the medicine so we are waiting to see if those 3 were enough. They want to wait til the rash, which also is all over his chest and stomach, disappears before the administer another antibiotic (if it is even needed). Anyway, it's been a whirlwind adventure and I just want my little man to get better!

6 comments:

Mindi said...

I'm so sorry! It is the hardest thing when your kids are sick, you feel helpless sometimes. I hope he gets feeling better!!

Me said...

Poor Riley!! And you!! What a welcome back for you. It's been a year since my kids have been REALLY sick I hope the good streak lasts cause it stinks!

Jill Stones said...

So sorry little man, I am afraid this is just the begining. Wait till 3 of them have it at the same time. Mitchial just had the same rash for the same thing. funny, but he was older and could say..mom my ear hurts. so sorry, but was you trip good?

Emily said...

Poor little guy! I hope he can start feeling better soon!

z&jarnold said...

that is so sad and scary! i hope he is doing better. if you need help with anything let me know k?

Marcizzle said...

You don't know me but I found your blog on melissa yorgason's blog (my cousin). What did the rash end up being? Did you find out? My daughter had a couple break outs and I don't know what caused them. marcibarker@gmail.com